Things I like about being vegan:
- My running is going the best it ever has, perhaps due to dropping a couple percent of my fat body composition
- I feel little to no inflammation, specifically after meals I no longer feel bloated and my ankles and knees do not feel the expansion that they normally do
- Once again I am bringing awareness and diversity to those people I know, helping them to reconsider their own choices and offer an opportunity to help reach their goals
- Quinoa, tempeh, tofu, almond milk, wild rice, Larabars, Clif Bars, and vegan breads of all types
- We humans often like to be part of a group, vegan athletes like the Williams sisters, show that this diet can bring one to significant athletic success as part of a total training program
Things I don't like about being vegan:
- Cheese, fish, steak, blue cheese dressing, and boneless chicken wings
- Going out to eat, it hasn't been totally satisfying nutritionally or in terms of server understanding
- The time and effort it takes to read labels, prepare food, and honestly I spend more time simply eating
People want a yes or no answer, it's not that easy. I am getting what I want out of the diet, running fast, but I would still like these other foods. I have considered being a 20 meals a week vegan. In other words, that once a week when I go out to eat or want something different I could eat the steak, sushi or chicken fettucini alfredo that I desire. I enjoy fine cheeses and a good steak and fresh fish. I have learned that being a vegan is certainly within the grasp of just about anyone for a meal or for a day or week.
Do I like being a vegan? Yes and no. Ultimately, I'm doing this to run fast while I can and it seems to be working.
I've been vegan for 25 years and consider it one of the best decisions of my life (my doctor agrees). Here's a video to help everyone understand why so many people are making this life affirming choice and why the number of vegans has doubled in the US in less than 3 years.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKr4HZ7ukSEReplyDelete
Also, here's a link for everyone to make the transition easily: 21-Day Vegan Kickstart http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/kickstart/kickstart-programs