I have been running competitively for 11 years. I remember the first time I ran five miles. That night I wondered if I would ever be able to run six miles. Since 2006 I have set a personal record in at least two of the mile, 5k, 10k, or half marathon every year. In the same time I have gone from barely being able to run 40 miles per week to consistently running over 100 miles per week and my fitness has greatly increased. I have only run one marathon and ultramarathon and both were unofficial, although I would have qualified for Boston. If those are your goals we can discuss in detail how I might be able to help.
In the last 11 years I have had five separate coaches and read many of the book and articles by some of the world's greatest coaches. Not only have I studied running coaches looking for answers, but I have also looked into other sports such as swimming, adventure racing, and sport rock climbing. My bigger influences are Arthur Lydiard and Dr. Renato Canova and my lesser influences are Dr. Jack Daniels and Jeff Galloway.
Mountaineering and backpacking background:
I led my first multiday backpacking expedition at the age of 17. I climbed my first two fourteeners (mountains over 14,000 feet tall), including 8600 vertical feet of elevation gain and loss, the same day when I was 16. Since that time I have led six backpacking or climbing multiday expeditions. I have lead technical rock climbing pitches thousands of feet above treeline and reached over 23,000 feet of elevation on a mountain in Pakistan. My greatest training influences for mountaineering and backpacking are Hermann Buhl and Simone Moro.
Who I can ideally help:
Beginners or people trying something new for the first time. Perhaps you want to finish a half marathon or climb Mt. Rainier. Perhaps you just want to keep up with your son on a 10 day backpacking trip. If all you want to do is get in better shape I can help with that too. Perhaps your goals are harder such as setting a new personal record or climbing a mountain that will take more than a month. Maybe you are looking for a change of pace in your training or more information than a free training log off of the internet provides.
What I can provide:
- A personalized survey of your related athletic history and available time for training so that I understand your background.
- A weekly training program sent to you before the start of every week.
- My contact information so that you can ask me training questions as they occur.
- Weekly review of your training log (online or through email) so that I can adjust the week's workouts to suit you.
- Recommendations for everything from nutrition to equipment as well as recommendations for experts that know about particular subjects I am not qualified to give advice.
- I will provide a training program based on the programs of the people I mentioned above. My goal is not to reinvent the wheel but to make sure that the wheel is the right size for you.
I understand you may have questions. Not every coach and athlete are made for each other. Contact me at info at isaiahjanzen.com